It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:50 am 

Hi Lars,

thank you for the offer. That should help. I am not very well versed in the HTML and SourceForge. Also I have to learn the SourceForge version control system It would be good idea if you took care of the SouceForge side of things and give me one page instructions what to do and what not to do :-)). Let's get familiar with each other by private mail klaine8@gmail.com .

Status of the user interface
I now have got another version of the user interface coming up. When I have it done I will post it to QT-mailing list for comments and hopefully for suggestions how to make it better.
I think I am able to make this posting this weekend. If I get feedback then I redo it next week. That should be the interface for some time to come.

After that I redo the communication part with C++ to make it easier to integrate with the user interface.

My time table is to have first version available mid January 2010...maybe earlier... we will see.

For the heck of me I don't know what this project should be named... I think it can not contain pcsgu250 or Velleman or part of them in name because this is not their official project.
Although I am willing to have Copyright By Velleman - licensed GPL 2 or later in the README file. Maybe you can come up with good name? How about Scope :-))

On the credits side I want to include that one dude who is responsible for the Windows-version - he has helped immensely. I will ask him.

Best Regards
Kari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:45 am 

Hi All,

I don't have this new scope, but I got the old K7103 for many years now. There is a sourceforge project for this scope.
it can be found at http://k7103.sourceforge.net/

This project has allready a user interface and for instance the Fourier transformation.

This program is written in Pascal with the Free Pascal Compiler and the Lazarus RAD IDE to design the graphical user interface. Both run on various operating systems including Linux and Windows as well as on various platforms (i386, x86_64, ARM, ...). With Lazarus you design an application once and can compile it anywhere. It wraps the visual elements and provides interfaces to GTK1, GTK2, Qt, Windows, ...

maybe you can learn from this project.
btw. I'm not one of the programmers. I'm just a user.

Kind regards,

Joris Weijters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:48 am 

molekuul wrote:
Hi All,

I don't have this new scope, but I got the old K7103 for many years now. There is a sourceforge project for this scope.
it can be found at http://k7103.sourceforge.net/

This project has allready a user interface and for instance the Fourier transformation.

This program is written in Pascal with the Free Pascal Compiler and the Lazarus RAD IDE to design the graphical user interface. Both run on various operating systems including Linux and Windows as well as on various platforms (i386, x86_64, ARM, ...). With Lazarus you design an application once and can compile it anywhere. It wraps the visual elements and provides interfaces to GTK1, GTK2, Qt, Windows, ...

maybe you can learn from this project.
btw. I'm not one of the programmers. I'm just a user.

Kind regards,

Joris Weijters

Hi Joris,

thank you very much for this link. I can read Pascal but I am probably not able to take this project and make a version for the pcsgu250. But I will certainly have a look. You are a second person recommending Lazarus and OpenPascal... there must be something in it.

Best Regards
Kari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am 

Hi

I'm looking forward to buy a PCSGU250. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 amd64).

Greetings to klaine8 for trying to provide poor linux users an usable interface for the PCSGU ! Any news from your effort ?

I just have tried to launch the PClab2000LT software (available in the PCSGU250 product page) with Wine and found that it works ! (well, the GUI appears and i can move cursors and click on things without crashing :o )

Could anyone who owns a PCSGU250 try to launch the software with Wine?

If it were reported to work i would buy this super scope and could help you with debugging the linux version !

thanks all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hello, me too post. I'd love to buy the pcsgu250, especially if there were a native linux GPL app for it!

I offer for debug too

I might go to the shop one of these days with my laptop and ask to see if PcLab200LT in wine detects the scope

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 pm 

Just to close my case : i finally bought the CGR-101 from Syscomp. Cheap, linux-compatible and GPL software (wine not needed), great manual.
http://www.syscompdesign.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:03 pm 

After many attempts, I got some results with Virtualbox in Linux. But I had to install XP in it ! Now the blue led of my PCSGU250 is on ! and the setting was performed. I am finishing my electronic circuit for more testing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:06 pm 

Hello,
I have a university course project on operating systems, and I'm considering a possibility of killing two birds with one stone --- revive Linux PCSGU250 driver development (so I wouldn't need a virtual machine for my oscilloscope) and make a course project (to write a kernel module for Linux is one of possible options for this project). I would like to ask for a copy of specs for me. My email is nikoamia, which is on gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 pm 

Hello again,
Sorry for bumping this thread again. Unfortunately, I have some deadlines, so I should know whether I can start it or not. I have my old project, which is based on USB sniffing, but I only managed to load firmware into oscilloscope and set some parameters, with many problems because of having no knowledge of communication protocol. I cannot take reverse-engineering communication protocol as one of tasks for course work because it will involve quite some time and we have strict deadlines. So I'm asking for some answer if I should wait for specs or get some another project.
BTW, here is my plan for now:
1. Write an abstract library for talking with oscilloscope, setting it and receiving data from it.
2. Write kernel module which will expose /dev interface and will make use of that library.
3. Write graphical front-end (on Qt, I suppose), which will use that interface.
4. After my main project is done, maybe make a libusb-1 version so it will be platform-independent.
Of course, it will be an open source project. Libraries will be written in plain C89, with GUI on something more high-level, such as C++ or maybe Python. This project will be aimed only on PCSGU250, because I have only this piece of hardware, but if there is interest and necessary documentation, I will consider making another back-ends and I will generally try to make this project as device-independent as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am 
Velleman Support
Velleman Support

I'm sorry, no document in English is available.
The document made for klaine8 was very draft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:50 am 

Hm, this is a pity. But can I take a look on it? I think it might be of some help, and I can reverse-engineer remaining info if things go well. To tell the truth, I've seen that document for klaine8 from his website some years ago (when my project was already abandoned) and AFAIR there was a well-documented configuration packet (with all flags, even brightness of LED) and some data on how to read from oscilloscope and write to generator, and I'm looking primarily for this one. Unfortunately, klaine8's website is down and I cannot find this document anymore. If we are talking about the same document, I would like to ask a copy of it, please.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Velleman Support
Velleman Support

OK - Here is the link to the document: https://www.box.com/s/cxybc16r7o5kqb65u6ct
You may try Google Translate with "Detect language option"… :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm 

Yes, that's exactly the same document --- I've remembered myself understanding it though variable names. ^_^ Thank you, I'll try to get a simple prototype working, get an approval from my supervisor and report my success (or failure).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm 

For now I've translated big parts of that document into English (Google Translate is awesome) and wrote simple prototype in Python/PyUSB which can configure oscilloscope, generator and dump data from oscilloscope. I have a mercurial repository: https://bitbucket.org/abbradar/scope, where I'll storage all my source code (for now it is empty, I will polish complete parts of translation and will make some commits then). I've received some missing information on protocol though USB sniffing. For now I have a question without answer --- the PCLab2000LT sends command 0F at the end of configuring the device, after which it receives 64 bytes of data. My question is "what is this?", it is not mirrored in the document. It would be very cool to get an answer from a developer, even in Finnish (^_^), but it's not critical for my work.
I'll get in touch with my supervisor this week and present my work, after which I will be allowed or denied to continue this project as course work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm 
Velleman Support
Velleman Support

Very nice work indeed!
Quote:
For now I have a question without answer --- the PCLab2000LT sends command 0F at the end of configuring the device, after which it receives 64 bytes of data. My question is "what is this?", it is not mirrored in the document.
Yes, the command 0F is not necessary for the operation of the PCSGU250.
This commend is used to request the firmware version number.
The first bytes of the returned data are: 31 2E 30 31 0D
i.e. "1.01".